[geeks] Zombie Disk Sleep

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 11 16:56:35 CDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 04:36:29PM -0400, Big Endian wrote:
> Nono... a process was reading from tape, there was a race condition
> or something in that both the tape drive and the program were waiting
> for the other to respond.  The program was in "Uninteruptible Disk
> Sleep"  (blocked while waiting for the tape to spit something back).
> You can't even kill -9 that program, its there, and the tape drive is
> locked until reboot.  Its an evil problem, one I've yet to see fixed.
> I've not run into it for a LONG time and I'm wondering if anybody
> ever found a way to kill that process.

FWIW, I have the same problem with my CD burner.  It burns the first disk
just fine, but if I try to burn another, it locks up.  The rest of the
machine is just fine though, so I could do a proper shutdown.  Now, I
do a controlled shutdown and power-cycle the box before burning each disk.
I suspect SCSI borkenness, but can't be bothered to investigate.

      We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity
      has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
                                                -- Richard Dawkins