[geeks] Networking stuff

Fogg, James geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 11 14:50:49 CDT 2001

SRACS network design is always and forever a *very-bad-idea* (Supposedly
Redundant Array of Cascaded Switches). Usually, the cheap switches used for
such a design won't have the fabric speed needed when you get near the top
of the pyramid. Also, the inter-switch links become choke points. And, the
unbearable inter-switch latency will eat your network performance alive.

If you grind into the numbers and *really* compare switches, you will find
that Cisco is hard to beat (cost vs. performance vs. ports). Also, other
big-switch companies, like Foundry, are pumping out some good-looking stuff.
Personally, I have never had good feelings toward 3Com for large switch
gear. I highly recommend Catalyst 550X and 650X switches for your
application. In fact, we will soon have a 5505 for sale, if you are
interested (we out-grew it). We may also have a 5509 for sale too (out-grew
that one too, time for a second 6509).