[geeks] Networking stuff

Shawn Wallbridge geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 11 13:53:54 CDT 2001

We are rapidly running out of network ports and I am thinking we would be
better off moving towards the modular cabinets rather than buying more
switches and tying them together. We have 96 10/100 ports, 4 1000SX ports
(with more SX needed) and we are going to be growing quickly.

We have some 3Com switches now, so I was looking at 3Com, but I was
wondering what you guys think. I was looking at the 4007 cabinet, but what
about Cisco? Any recommendations? Right now we have a mix of 3Com
(2xSuperStack 3300's), Intel 510T, IBM (2x24port10/100), Netgear GS504
(4-1000SX).

I am really out of my league here, so I have a lot of reading to do, does
anyone have any recommendations? Hell, I have most of our 24port 100Mbps
switches connected with crossover cables :-(

So basically, what HW brands do you recommend? and what should I read?

shawn