[geeks] Document conversion...

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 10 09:40:01 CDT 2001

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 12:57:47PM +0100, Will Mc Donald wrote:
> Does anyone have any prior experience converting RTFs to something more Unix
> friendly?
>
> We have systems in place which generate RTF reports (with embedded WMF/BMP
> images) and cover-sheets and we need to somehow convert these into
> Postscript for printing and faxing.
>
> So far I've found one opensource program that'll so rtf2ps but misses out
> the embedded images. There are a bazillion and one other conversion options
> and I'm unsure of the best course.
>
> RTF -> HTLM -> PS
> RTF -> TeX .dvi -> PS
>
> Or any of the other myriad options. For now I think I'll proceed with RTF ->
> TeX just to see how that turns out.

I once wrote some ASP scripts to do this.  It worked that the user
uploaded the word file (and an RTF is a word file as far as this process
is concerned) via a webform, and then the ASP script opened the file in
word, and saved it as text.  Not exactly want you want.  However, it is
also possible to use COM to force word to print a file to a specific
printer (such as a generic postscript printer) and to force it to print to
a file.  Voila, a .doc or .rtf is suddenly a ps file.

--
Joshua D. Boyd