[geeks] Re: [rescue] The war begins....

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 8 10:16:32 CDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 09:57:03AM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> From: <s at avoidant.org>
> > Oooh, that's a hard one. By their rules, they *are* the righteous ones.
> And by our rules, *we* are ;^) BTW, the *we* in the previous sentence
> includes those who follow th teachings of the bible, talmut, Koran, and
> others - nearly everyone *except* the Taliban and thier extremist views...

They, however, consider that *they* are following the Quran, and that
those who follow the Talmud or the Bible are also righteous.  And they
think that they are paragons of moderation and that it is the US and UK
that are the vile extremists.  We're back to the old difficulty of
deciding which of two views is the more correct when we do not have an
independently calibrated baseline to compare from.  Consider, for example:
why do we call the pIRA terrorists, but the French Resistance were freedom
fighters?  Both attacked the same sort of targets, both had the same aim,
of ejecting a foreign occupier from their country.  Why are Mandela, ben
Gurion and Washington not now condemned as terrorists?

I suggest that the only people qualified to make judgements are those who
have not been 'corrupted' by either Islamic or western civilisation, and
who have no quarrels with either.  So therefore I suggest that both sides
present their evidence to a court of aboriginal tribesmen from around the
world and that we just shut the hell up until they deliver their verdict
:-)

If you save all your money for three years, you'll be able to afford this
new computer.  If, however, you blow all your money on poker, booze and
loose women - you'll still be able to afford it in three years.
                                                      -- anon, on Usenet