[geeks] Re: [rescue] FW: Sun Microsystems to Cut Jobs, Sees Wider-Than-Expected Loss

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 5 17:25:08 CDT 2001

>Anyone mocked is free to back-mock, of course.

Where and why did we slip into this presumption that the first thing you do is mock and then judge a person based on reactions? I mean, sure, it's basic low level primate behaviour. But, really....

>And if they do, it's a sign they may be worth a shit, after all.

I find it amusing, though sad, that you will judge a person lacking based solely on the fact that they have a degree (no mention of what degree, what subject, how many years experince, intituion, nothing- simply have-degree == subhuman). Be careful, this could seriously limit your career/lifestyle as a technical person.

 Suresure, not everyone has a dregree. I don't. I learned SunOS in the navy and went from there. But always remember that a lot of the true old school unix hackers came from an era when unix existed almost solely in a university environment (or environments that had close ties to universities doing development). All these older, experienced alpha-guru types that you so casually insulted may not be quite so ready to extend that traditional unix helping hand.......

Just thoughts, not trying to start a flame war.

and, sure- I've seen several 0 experience mac and windows java applet trained computer science bachelor's hit the market and score a job and fail miserably because the hiring company was too dumb to start them out running tapes instead of coding security. That does not make what they DID learn (if they actually had a decent degree program or interest) useless.

so.
Thus goes the polite way of me trying to tell you to blow it out your ear, bigotry is a disease :)

-Christof