[geeks] Older Mac

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 5 12:23:23 CDT 2001

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Michael S. Schiller wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> HiTechCafe is selling the following Mac system for $169.00 Is this a
> good price for this machine? Will this machine run OS-X? if not, what's
> the highest version of the OS it will run? At this price I wouldn't mind
> getting it if it's a worthwhile machine. Thanks.
>

>                          POWER MAC 5400/200MHZ 24MB 1.2GB 8X CD 1.44MB
> FLOPPY (includes keyboard, mouse, and built-in monitor)

No!  Ugh!  Steer clear - it is a 603e-based system, and sucks.  You might
be able to find a L2 G3 upgrade, but it'll Suck for OS X.  Yer best
"budget" bet is to find a 75/7600 on Ebay and get a G3 card - those will
run OS X in a passible manner, with a hack or two.  If you can find it,
and early iMac is an even better bet...

-pete