[geeks] News help

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 4 09:58:06 CDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 03:26:09PM +0100, Chris Byrne wrote:

> So I need either (or both) a fast free newserver that allows posting and is
> not network address limited

news.cis.dfn.de, you'll need to register and use your username/password
for access.

>                                               or a newsreader for windows
> that allows the syncing of groups from multiple servers (i.e. if I read the
> message on one server it will mark it as read when I read it from the other
> server. I dont know if any newsreader clients do that actually, I just think
> it's be a cool feature.

I use Forte Agent (a Windows app, I run it in Wine).  Whilst Agent can only
talk to one server, I run a leafnode server on my laptop which aggregates
three different servers (dfn.de's above, my ISP's, one from work).  It copes
gracefully with servers being temporarily unavailable and seems to just Do
The Right Thing when posting my stuff to the outside world.  Agent then
just connects to localhost.

> Actually another point, anyone recommend a good free graphical newsreader
> client for win2k? I dont much care for OE or Netscape, and most of the
> clients I've tried are ugly nasty or a pain in the ass ...

Agent is the least sucky that I've tried.  It's payware, but they have a
free version as well (http://www.forteinc.com).  The free version is missing
a couple of features like killfiles.

  Vegetables are what food eats