[geeks] News help

Chris Byrne geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 4 09:26:09 CDT 2001

All,

I've been getting back to reading usenet lately and I have a fairly typical
problem. My home ISP doesnt allow connections to their news servers from
outside their IP address allocation and vice versa.

I read a lot of newsgroups with VERY long lists of threads and trying to
keep each account synced up with them is a pain, plus I have four or five
different dialup accounts as backups etc... etc...

So I need either (or both) a fast free newserver that allows posting and is
not network address limited (I have no problem using a specific email
address or some type of user authentication), or a newsreader for windows
that allows the syncing of groups from multiple servers (i.e. if I read the
message on one server it will mark it as read when I read it from the other
server. I dont know if any newsreader clients do that actually, I just think
it's be a cool feature.

Actually another point, anyone recommend a good free graphical newsreader
client for win2k? I dont much care for OE or Netscape, and most of the
clients I've tried are ugly nasty or a pain in the ass or some other thing
that I dislike. I dont want much, just a three pane format, clean interface,
relativley easy to configure, and convenient to use.

Anybody have any bright ideas?

Chris Byrne