[geeks] "Enterprise"

Big Endian geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 1 20:49:47 CDT 2001

>  >
>>  An OC-3 interface would be 155 Mbit ATM, right?

yes.

>  > How powerfull a computer is required to keep up with those links,
>>  running FreeBSD?
>
>It's gotta have a 32bit/66MHz bus or a 64bit/33MHz PCI bus.  Minimum.
>That OC-3 blows the theoretical max of a 32bit/33MHz PCI bus out of the
>water.  That's *before* you hit the FDDI & ethernet connections.

Umm... 32bit/33mhz PCI has a maximum bandwidth of 132 MBytes/sec.
Thats 1056Mbits.  (generously) -300 for ATM, -225 for FDDI, -115 for
FastE and -3 for the 10bt (internet link is 1.1Mb) that comes to...
643Mbits/sec for the network links.  There's still almost half of my
PCI bus left.  Not that I *EVER* saturate any of those links anyways
(only FastE and the inet link are up right now, I need more fiber to
bring the rest online).

>I bet a mid-range PII or Athlon could do it.  The memory bus speed
>limitation would be a killer, though.

Its a 600 Celeron with a 66mhz memory bus and 128mb ram.  It works
fine for me so far.  I've seen less route more data.

daniel