[geeks] "Enterprise"

Big Endian geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 1 12:42:51 CDT 2001

>On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 11:10:13AM -0400, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
>>  Not the same.  I'm sure you don't believe me, but I bet Bill will
>>  agree... it's not just the capture to hard drive, but the guide
>>  data and feature set of the software that makes it worthwhile.
>>  --Kurt
>
>I'll definitely agree with Kurt here.  Like the difference between
>having a linux floppy-based router made out of a PC, and having a
>nice dedicated "router" like a NetGear RT314.  Its nice to have a
>lot of the stuff done for you.

It REALLY depends on what you want to do with it.  The core of my
network is a FreeBSD machine with OC-3,FDDI, FastE and 10BT
interfaces.  I COULD buy a cisco box to do this but it would cost me
far more than the cost of the parts on this machine (most of it
free).  A TiVO is the same way.  Its great for the basics like the
guide and the other features of the software (I don't own one so I
can't say) but it doesn't do it as well as a custom build solution
would.  Granted it takes a lot longer to make that solution and its
up to you to A) buy a tivo B) and hack it C) build your own from
scratch D) use VHS like normal people(my choice at the moment).  A, B
and D lack the capabilities you can do with custom systems (1080i
anybody?)  using more expensive components on a PC.  A and D lack the
capability to watch other than on the TV.  B lacks any custom
abilities you can easily add to C (ie streaming the show over the
network and recording simultaneously to disk, internet
controllability, automated disk flush to tape or CD, any kind of on
the fly editing you want to do).  Now naturally everybody would LOVE
to have C but most people don't want to spend the time so they go D
then A, then perhaps B.  I'm still happy with D so I see no need yet.
If and when I'm rich and sitting on my ass I'll probably jump
straight to C.

daniel