[geeks] Recommendations or warnings for a new DVD player

Big Endian geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 27 13:23:06 CST 2001

>I recommend getting a sound card with optical outs, and getting a stand alone
>sound processor.  Even pretty nice 5.1 sound cards like the Live Platinum pick
>up noise from inside the case.  I would be interested in knowing how really
>mid range pro cards deal with the problem.  I know that most really high end
>cards use external DACs and ADCs.

I was planning to get an external sound processor.  I just want the
ability to stream my DVD w/ AC3 audio over the network the PC will be
attached to.  If I'm going to do something like an HDTV rig I'm going
to do it right but I don't want to worry about contention so I'll
have the network available if I need it.  Thats the only reason I
want the PC there, perhaps to use as a DVD player too.

daniel