[geeks] Recommendations or warnings for a new DVD player

Fogg, James geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 27 09:03:42 CST 2001

Actually, composite video has several flavors. North American standard NTSC
sucks the most, but PAL (european) is an improvement. SECAM (more european
in consumer goods, but used in North America for broadcast video) is
actually pretty damn good. My JVC TV will take PAL composite, and my
sattelite box will deliver PAL composite. Until I bothered to get the
S-video cables I used that, and I didn't see much difference between PAL and
S-video.

>From what I can detect, my first choice would be S-video, which I *believe*
breaks out R/G/B/sync. S-video is very well supported now on US consumer
goods. My second choice would be R/G/B/corona, only because its not well
supported and from A/B comparisons that I have done, it doesn't improve
anything when displayed on a high end consumer TV (flame extinguisher note,
this is a personal observation, mileage may vary).

In support of Kurt's reply, absolutely nothing sucks more than composite
over RF. That squeezes a composite signal into a broadcast frequency
(channel 3 usually) RF TV signal that includes sound. Most undesirable. RF
usually uses an F connector (cable TV style screw-on coaxial connector).