[geeks] So what is a "Frankenmac"?

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 26 16:31:08 CST 2001

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 05:20:58PM -0500, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> Well, I don't think it'll usually get down THAT small.  Seeing his comparison
> page, I only see one track that got down into the 0.4 range.  Most were about
> 50% though.  So that's still 200 CDs. =)

Well, at 200 full CDs, it would hold for now, but possibly not for another
year.  Except, most CDs aren't full.  I should do an informal survey of how
full my audio CDs tend to be.  I'm guessing that most don't use more than 400
megs.  If so, that would be 300 real world CDs, which should hold me for at
least 2 years.

I say this, but I'm actually rather unlikely to engage in such a project real
soon.  For one thing, due to another round of car trouble, I won't be able to
afford such toys real soon, and also because I'm not sure how I was deal with
getting the audio from the drive to speakers in a reasonable (and cheap) way.

Nearly uncompressed audio is clearly too much to try to stream around a 10mbit
network.  Also, if such quality is to be undertaken for storage, one must also
ask how to acurately reproduce the sound (I can't believe I just said that.  I,
of course, mean how to pleasantly reproduce the sound).

--
Joshua D. Boyd