[geeks] WTB: FH 5.25" SCSI-1 enclosure

Gregory Leblanc geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 26 00:18:47 CST 2001

On Sun, 2001-11-25 at 22:16, Kris Kirby wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > The 2940 I have here isn't U or W.  That is probably why I'm always surprised
> > by how slow the machine it is in is (originally it was in a L2-less P90, then
> > a P166, now a P200mmx, in other words, it is in my sisters machine).  I don't
> > know what the deal is, but when my sister gets a new machine, she is actually
> > getting a new machine instead of a radical upgrade.  And I think it is probably
> > going to be an all IDE machine.  I've used some screaming all SCSI Wintel
> > machines, but the ones I've put together have never fit this description.  She
> > doesn't push the machine hard anyway.
>
> I have a 2940UW in a P166 / 128MB. It has three 7200 RPM drives: Two
> Seagate Barracudas and a IBM DDRS (UW). I have the two busses running
> seperate, which means no external on the 2940UW. But I also have a SIIG

Uhm, the 2940UW is a single bus SCSI card.  There are two internal
connectors, one narrow and one wide.  You can't have two busses running
off of that card.

> Bus-mastering AHA-1640(?) alike for the external stuff. The DDRS does
> about 12MB/s; the 4GB Barracuda is 9MB/s and the 9GB Barracuda does 14
> MB/s. It's fairly swift for a machine without much of a processor.

Yeah, you've even got room on that bus for another fairly fast (by those
standards) drive before you need to start worrying bus contention.  I
sure hope swap is on the IBM drive.  :)
	Greg