[geeks] Recommendations or warnings for a new DVD player

Fogg, James geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 25 21:41:08 CST 2001

Apparently, there are some variations of the AD-500W. I just got one for $88
at Wal-Fart (now selling for $74, shit). Mine has composite video (single
RCA jack) and S-video (no RGB (red RCA/blue RCA/green RCA)).

I was thinking of posting something about this, cause I got the DVD just so
I could watch the Soprano's first season on DVD. So, $88 seemed decent.
Ooops, no RF modulator on the Apex, my TV did only RF and my satelite box
doesn't do s-video passthrough. SO, off to Sears for a new JVC 32 inch tube.
Now, $788 buckeroo de realm later, I can watch DVD's. All I wanted to do was
watch the Soprano's.

btw, the S-video is pretty cool. Noticably better than composite. And,
digital comb filters are way cool, I'm not regretting the $700 for the tv
now.