[geeks] Recommendations or warnings for a new DVD player

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 25 21:26:07 CST 2001

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 07:41:21PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Uh, mine has RGB (composite) video out... (plus RF and S-video)

And you say it is an AD-500w?  That is weird.  Mine only has 5 jacks on the
back.  A red one, a white one, and a yellow one marked right, left, and video,
then another RCA jack labeled digital audio, and then a S-Video jack.

I use the S-Video to connect to the TV, and I find that it is an absolutely
shocking quality difference.  I didn't expect it to be such a quality jump.

I've heard that RBG was easy to hack in.

Wait, just as I was about to send this, I noticed that you said "(composite)".
Are you sure that this is RGB as opposed to YC?  That is what composite usually
means to me.

Of course, the other thing that comes to mind is why are RGB inputs on TV sets
RGB?  Aren't pretty much all professional video sources in YUV space?

PS.  Walmart.com now reports that the AD-500W is down to $88.86.  Also, they
have quite a few DVD players for under $150.  Some of them have component RGB
out, and others list additional sound features, but I don't know if these
sound features translate into not neating a seperate suround decoder for your
system.

--
Joshua D. Boyd