[geeks] Recommendations or warnings for a new DVD player

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 25 19:07:38 CST 2001

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 07:51:23PM -0500, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to break down and buy a
> DVD player for my home theater system. While I love my LaserDiscs I am going to
> have to add the DVD.
>
> So, if you have recommendations or warnings as to a specific model or line of
> players please do lemme know.

The Apex AD-500ws aren't bad, and they are darn cheap.  But, what is important
to you?  Audio quality?  Built in surround decoder?  Optical audio outputs?
Video quality?  Progressive scan?  RGB outputs? Import discs?

If you want a base model, or a hackable model, the Apex mentioned above is
great.  For major audio freaks, the power supply can easily be upgraded giving
better audio.  I don't know that you would need to do that for great audio if
you use the digital output though.  The picture appears sharp, but you only get
s-video out, not RGB or progressive scan.  It rarely skips, even on pretty
scratched up rental discs.  I've heard reports about it going out of alignment
unusually quickly, but I've had mine for 6 months, and have used it heavily, w/
no problems.

--
Joshua D. Boyd