[geeks] ipfilter question - was:DHCP silliness

Mike Meredith geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 25 17:49:28 CST 2001

On Sunday 25 November 2001 18:11, you wrote:
> jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu writes:
> >Hmm.  Looking for information on what pasv means, I find that it
> > appears that linux's ip_masq can be set to eaves drop on ftp
> > connections to allow normal mode to work.  I bet that NetBSD can do
> > the same thing, whenever I get it set up for NAT.  I wonder how I
> > set Mozilla and IE to pasv mode in the mean time...

In IE5 or later, there's a setting somewhere for 'Web-based FTP' or
something similar. It's in a huge list of options somewhere. Sorry
about the vagueness, but I'm not a Microsoftie.

> In passive mode, a contacts b, ask for a file, b send it back along
> the existing connection.

That's what I used to think as well. It happens to be wrong. In passive
mode, a contacts b, asks for a 'file', and opens a data connection to
b. Same as PORT mode really except that the data connection goes the
other way.