[geeks] ipfilter question - was:DHCP silliness

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 25 11:35:55 CST 2001

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 05:00:05PM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 11:42:48AM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > Using mozilla, FTP usually fails when behind the NAT.  however, comandline FTP
> > just works, and I couldn't tell you why.
>
> That'd be pasv vs normal mode.  FWIW, ftp works just fine for my NATted
> boxes, using ipchains.

Hmm.  Looking for information on what pasv means, I find that it appears that
linux's ip_masq can be set to eaves drop on ftp connections to allow normal
mode to work.  I bet that NetBSD can do the same thing, whenever I get it
set up for NAT.  I wonder how I set Mozilla and IE to pasv mode in the mean
time...

--
Joshua D. Boyd