[geeks] organization idea

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 21 21:34:32 CST 2001

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 04:21:53PM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> Now, I've been considering extending that practice.  So rather than have gtk go
> in /usr/local, I would have it go in /usr/local/gtk, then go through and create
> symlinks for all the files in /usr/local/gtk/bin to /usr/local/bin, and so on.
> I'm thinking that the advantage of this would be that if I want to remove GTK,
> I could just rm -rf /usr/local/gtk, then run a script to look for and delete
> dead symlinks.  So, my /usr/bin directory would still be huge, but with mainly
> only symlinks.
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  See why it is a bad idea or anything?
> Why isn't something like this done already?
> Just wondering.

I did that once, but it ended up being more trouble than it was worth.  I
do, however, keep a /usr/local/src/installed directory, with the tarballs of
all the software I've compiled and installed on a box.

If youv'e got a list of everything you've installed, keeping track of it
isnt that hard.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford