[geeks] Need advice on an incoming Mac SE/30...

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 22:19:33 CST 2001

> The HD is small, and I have a large selection of 1 and 2 Gig SCSI drives -
> will this take 1.6" (HH) tall 3.5" SCSI drives, or only 1" tall? Is there
> any concern with heat if I put in a 1 or 2 Gig drive?

I've tried largr drives but never had much success.  I guess they were either
borked or (as I heard/read once) didn't have Apple ROMs.

> If I do upgrade the drive, can I transfer the OS/software to the new drive,
> then swap the drives? If so, how - would I attach the new drive external,
> then copy, or put the new drive inside, the old would be external, and then
> copy over?

That was the way I was going to do it.

> Ethernet cards are available for this box, right? Any leads on one other
> than eBay? Is this a HW-only upgrade, or are drivers typically needed?

There was a card available.  Got one in mine although never used it.

> Finally, if I am going to upgrade this box, I guess I will need a special
> tool to open the case, right? Any leads/loaners possible?

Yes a torx screwdriver with one big ass length to it.  I have one
which I purchased at Greenbrook Electronics on 22 in Greanbrook.
Don't remember the price (knowing them, probably expensive).