[geeks] 400 in AS/400

Martijn Pronk geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 10:36:29 CST 2001

Hi
>  Figuring somebody here would know the answer:
>
>   What does the 400 in AS/400 stand for?!? I've got a nice book here, but they
> only mention Application Server and I would guess the 4 comes after the 3 from
> s/3x. Or is it as simple as implementation 00 of system 4?
>
>  And the bonus question:
>
>   What does the 6000 in rs/6000 stand for? I've also never come accross an
> explanation of this one.

I spoke once with an IBM employee at CeBIT in Hannover, Germany
And asked him these exact same questions... And he didn't know it...
Asked another one there, he also didn't know it.
So, I am too puzzled what these numbers mean...
and of course that even IBM merketdroids don't know an answer :-)

Martijn Pronk   <martijn at smartie.xs4all.nl>

   There is nothing magic about SCSI cabling.  There are sound
   technical reasons why they occasionally require the sacrifice of a
   young goat.        - Somebody in FreeBSD-current