[geeks] Re: MACWEENIES: Need advice on an incoming Mac SE/30...

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 9 20:26:21 CST 2001

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> Based on Pete's report of a 128 Meg Mac SE/30, I went out and bought one on
> eBay w/5 Meg RAM, a [40|80|?] Meg HD, keyboard & mouse, with an old version
> of MS-Word, other apps installed (< $50 shipped, an OK deal, IMHO).

Decent, I got two for $35/ea shipped.

> For $0 I can upgrade the RAM to 32 Megs (I have 8x 4 Meg 30 pin SIMMs) -
> anyone have leads on low-cost 16 Meg SIMMs (128 Meg would be nice ;^)?

Our old pal sunguk has 'em cheap.

Keep in mind that you need mode 32 (use the 7.5 version) for configs over
8M.  "Dirty" ROMs, ya know..

> The HD is small, and I have a large selection of 1 and 2 Gig SCSI drives -
> will this take 1.6" (HH) tall 3.5" SCSI drives, or only 1" tall? Is there
> any concern with heat if I put in a 1 or 2 Gig drive?

No sweat, damn near any 3.5" drive will fit - remember that you will need
a 3-rd party formatter or a hacked version of HD SC setup (I have the
links if you need), to format it.

> If I do upgrade the drive, can I transfer the OS/software to the new drive,
> then swap the drives? If so, how - would I attach the new drive external,
> then copy, or put the new drive inside, the old would be external, and then
> copy over?

I would verify everything works externally, before putting it in.  Trust
me, I know of what I speak, having lost a weekend to a drive swap on an
SE/30.

> Ethernet cards are available for this box, right? Any leads on one other
> than eBay? Is this a HW-only upgrade, or are drivers typically needed?

Ebay is best bet.  If you get the right kind, no drivers are necessary
under MacOS 7.5.x.

I recommend setting up for a 7.5.3 net install and the upgradingto 7.5.5,
which runs quite well.  If you get the net install from apple, then
download the netboot disk, you can install 7.5.3 with just a floppy and a
network.

> Finally, if I am going to upgrade this box, I guess I will need a special
> tool to open the case, right? Any leads/loaners possible?

A Torx t-15 screwdriver with a *long* shaft - I made one in 1986 that I
still use - I founf a long one, and cut it down even more.

Some quick tips:

-After you open it, you will need to remove the motherboard to get the
drives out - disconnect the SCSI, floppy, and power from the MB, then
slide it out about 1/2" so that the notches in the rail align with the
ones in the MB. (on the right if looking at computer from the back) -
pivot the board out so you an unplug the speaker connection.

The HD/FD bracket bolts on with 4 scews that you can only reach after you
remove the MB.

Let me know if you need pics.  After last weekend, I can now field-strip
and rebuild an SE/30 in the dark.  Also, replace the PRAM battery when you
get a chance.

Have fun! The SE/30 is one of my top-5 macs (in no order):
SE/30
Quadra 950
iBook
G4
Quadra 840AV.

One of my SE/30's is now running OpenBSD w/128M RAM and 1G disk.  Whee!

-Pete