[geeks] Need advice on an incoming Mac SE/30...

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 9 06:16:31 CST 2001

Based on Pete's report of a 128 Meg Mac SE/30, I went out and bought one on
eBay w/5 Meg RAM, a [40|80|?] Meg HD, keyboard & mouse, with an old version
of MS-Word, other apps installed (< $50 shipped, an OK deal, IMHO).

For $0 I can upgrade the RAM to 32 Megs (I have 8x 4 Meg 30 pin SIMMs) -
anyone have leads on low-cost 16 Meg SIMMs (128 Meg would be nice ;^)?

The HD is small, and I have a large selection of 1 and 2 Gig SCSI drives -
will this take 1.6" (HH) tall 3.5" SCSI drives, or only 1" tall? Is there
any concern with heat if I put in a 1 or 2 Gig drive?

If I do upgrade the drive, can I transfer the OS/software to the new drive,
then swap the drives? If so, how - would I attach the new drive external,
then copy, or put the new drive inside, the old would be external, and then
copy over?

Ethernet cards are available for this box, right? Any leads on one other
than eBay? Is this a HW-only upgrade, or are drivers typically needed?

Finally, if I am going to upgrade this box, I guess I will need a special
tool to open the case, right? Any leads/loaners possible?

Thanks in advance,

Ken