[geeks] Wireless Ethernet

David Passmore geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 7 19:01:14 CST 2001

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 05:37:36PM -0500, Rob wrote:

> The problem is that while it works fine on the first floor, it doesn't
> reach the second. Thus no Netscape in bed. This is unacceptable.
>
> Does anyone out there make a wireless ethernet repeater or an extra
> powerful transmitter?

I have a three story house (first floor, second, and basement). My Apple
Airport is on the first floor and covers the entire house, although the
signal seems stronger from above it than it is below it. My house is your
basic wooden structure with hardwood on top of plywood on top of joists.

If you can, I would suggest taking the SMC back and getting an Airport.
There's a nice Java applet out there that configures them (I don't have a
Mac) and I have found the SMC wireless stuff to suck pretty badly.

David