[geeks] Security People haven't heard of OpenBSD!

Scott Howard geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 3 18:01:00 CST 2001

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 01:18:25PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > * SunRPC is running on this machine. (You mean this isnt the same as portmap?)
>
> and now the real reason I replied:  No, you don't need portmapper or
> rpcbind to be running for SunRPC services to be active -- there are a
> few very well known RPC service numbers that are not strictly necessary
> to be accessed through the portmapper.  However the only one that comes
> to mind right off the top (other than portmapper itself at 111) is NFS
> (which is always 2049), and I don't imagine you were running NFS on that
> machine....  :-)

Sorry, perhaps my bad wording in the earlier message.  They were definitely
trying to state that we had both a portmapper daemon and a sunrpc/rpcbind/etc
daemon running - they were not saying we had "sunrpc services" running.
Of course, we had neither - the machine in question listens on ports 22
and 25.

  Scott.