[geeks] LDAP/FreeRadius.

Tim Harrison geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 10:30:55 CDT 2001

Has anyone had any experience getting OpenLDAP working with FreeRadius
(or, even, any radius implementation)?  How many users was it able to
handle?  Was it much easier than doing auth out of a MySQL db?

Basically, I need to find a better way of doing authentication.  If the
MySQL db dies, our authentication is gone.  That sucks, with 35k users.
We've got 4 auth servers, one master db, and everything connects to
there for the user information.  Unfortunately, this is horrible.  So, I
figured, if I could put an LDAP directory on each box, have a master at
our main location, and replicate the user info that way, if the master
goes down, then the remote locations could continue to run, but just
wouldn't be getting any new info.

Damn me for trying to do something right. :)  Any info, suggestions,
etc, would be appreciated.

--

Tim Harrison
Network Engineer