[geeks] argh

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 05:18:08 CDT 2001

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 03:12:19PM -0700, Aaron R. Seelye wrote:

> William Staniewicz [mailto:wstan at localhostnl.demon.nl] wrote:
>
> > Maybe a nice place in the wilderness is the answer. The
> > type of place only accessible by canoe or float plane.
> > Only problem is having a good Internet connection.
>
> Satellite's always an option.

If you can live with the latency.  It makes remote terminal sessions,
IRC, gaming and the like really rather horrible.  Until recently, I
worked for a company offering broadband satellite internet access, and
I couldn't stand having to use it.  The signal had to make a 100,000
mile round trip (earth to satellite to customer; customer to satellite
to earth).  At 186,000 miles per second, that's a delay of over half a
second just to contact my ISP.  No thanks.

Such a product is just fine for web, news, mail, ftp etc, but totally
inappropriate for users like most of us.

--
David Cantrell | cthulhu at unixbeard.net | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

  Rip, Mix, Burn, unless you're using our "most advanced operating system
   in the world" which we decided to release incomplete just for a laugh