[geeks] SGI Indigo issue.

Tim Harrison geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat May 26 19:37:17 CDT 2001

David Michaud wrote:

> Well, if your battery is dead, then the contents of the NVRAM will have
> probably been erased as well, and because the system's MAC address is
> stored in NVRAM, then that is reset as well (default to all FFs),
> esentially rendering the machine useless. The MAC address is also the
> system's serial number, so any NodeLock licenses would be useless also.
> Even if you replace the battery (it's soldered to the system board
> directly under the processor daughter board, designated BT1) there is
> not much you can do... :( Bummer.

So, what your saying is, I should go with the "kill myself" thing. :/

Anyone wanna trade me something interesting for a slightly dead SGI
Indigo? :(

It is/was a nice machine, too.  Indigo Colorbus Cyclone, R4000 133Mhz,
3.5" Sony floppy drive, 4 x 32MB + 2 x 8MB RAM, 1 x 2GB SCSI disk, Elan
24-bit framebuffer.  It's even got whatever Colorbus card is in here. :/

http://www.networklevel.com/graphics/sgi/front.jpg

I may need a moment alone with it before I bury it.  DAMNDAMNDAMN.

--

Tim Harrison
Network Engineer
harrison at timharrison.com