[geeks] motorcycling....

Jonathan Katz geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon May 21 10:30:05 CDT 2001

Brian pointed out:
> i've noticed one thing in life.  after you lay a bike over once you are either
> "normal" and swear them off (like i did) or you are a local harley dude and you
> get back on the bike and ride to the hospital and then ride home after they
> are done putting the cast on. :)

*nod* I'll never ride. A friend's little brother wrecked a bike at the
begining of the summer. Took a spill at 70mph. He slid for 300 yards and
the bike slid for another 100 beyond that. He was wearing dockers which the
pavement ate through. It also chewed up a nice chunk of his backside and he
almost lost use of his hand. He made a 100% recovery in about a month and
went out and bought another bike. Within a week of getting that one, he was
hit by a car which ran a red light. He was fine.

An acquaintance of some of ours on here (remember <foo> from efnet?) rides
as well. He was involved in a nasty spill on highway nine outside of Silly
Valley a few years back. He was in crutches for a while and went out and
bought another bike and still rides to this day. I think he even races now.

A friend's SO wasn't so lucky. He was from the UK and was hit by a cargo
van while riding. The guy was wearing proper gear and all, too. He lingered
in a coma for a month or two, pneumonia hit him, and he finally passed away
in the last 24-48 hours.

It's just a different mindset. Of course these are the notable exceptions
to the rule. A lot of folks who ride never spill, right?

I'll have a drink or three to Pete's speedy recovery.

-Jon