[geeks] musings

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat May 19 17:28:13 CDT 2001

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 04:33:55PM -0400, Michael S. Schiller wrote:

> I remember thinking about getting a HD for my newest system, an Osborne1. A
> company was selling a 3mb hd but I didn't have the 5k to spare :) And I
> remember when I got my Amiga 3000 getting a real DEAL on memory, got 16mb for
> ONLY $100/mb !!! Times sure do change. Looks like the time when Scotty's
> comment 'A keyboard, how quaint' is a reality ain't that far off!

hehe.  In 1994, I had to upgrade my PC (486DX2-40*, 4Mb, 120Mb, 512K VRAM)
so I could play Doom properly.  The demo levels worked fine on the original
configuration, but not the second and third worlds.  So I paid UKP100 for
an extra 16Mb and a 1Mb graphics card**.  Yep, I reckon Doom was well worth
the UKP120 I paid for the software and the hardware upgrade :-)

Later, I upgraded the machine with a whopping great 540Mb hard disk.
It's still in use by a student who I sold it a couple of years ago for
UKP20.  I paid around UKP1500 for it originally!

[sound of threads being tied together] That machine had probably the best
keyboard I have ever used.  Which is odd, considering that it was made by
Trigem, a Korean box-shifter.

* - it started as an SX-20 in Oct 1992, I got the overdrive chip in early
1993 cos I found I needed the FPU

** - yes, I know Doom didn't need that, but it was in a clearance sale.

--
David Cantrell | cthulhu at unixbeard.net | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

  Rip, Mix, Burn, unless you're using our "most advanced operating system
   in the world" which we decided to release incomplete just for a laugh