[geeks] musings

Joshua D. Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat May 19 15:28:15 CDT 2001

On Sat, 19 May 2001, Tugrul Galatali wrote:
> 	How about the IBM keyboards that came with their 386 PS/2 boxes? Four
> years ago (yikes, thats a lot at 19) I was on a team in my high school to
> retire 386 labs, and I think I've been using that same keyboard since. The
> damn keyboard shows no sign of ever dying. I'm going to go back to pick up
> spares just in case tho :)
> 	Its loud, clickity and unbreakable. What more can you ask for?

You know, I think that clacky keyboards are better than spongy ones, but
those old IBM keyboards take too much effort to push the keys.  In my
anything but humble, using one is just asking for RSI related injuries.
Personally, I use a keyboard that looks like it was taken off a notebook.
The main keys are full size, but the arrow keys are smaller that I like.
On the up side, when you push a key in only travels about 2mm, as opposed
to about 4mm for normal keyboards.

> 	Tugrul Galatali (mildly freaked at his use of 386s only 4 years ago...
> today he can barely bring himself to save < P200MMX systems. Hell, he has
> P133/P166MMX sitting on his monitor waiting for a dual socket 5 board that
> takes dimms if he ever finds one cheap. *hint hint =P*)

I save any dx2/66 class or better machine that I can.  I don't have
oportunities to save much other than sx class machines.

However, what are you doing trying to find a dual socket 5 board that
takes dimms?  Wouldn't dual socket 7 be better?  Socket 7 chips or pretty
cheap for the 166mmxs or slower (166 non/mmx are fairly pricy because of
people trying to keep non/mmx motherboards going).  I bought a spare 150
chip awhile ago, but I lost it before I had a change to install it in the
spare socket 7 boards I had lieing around.  Sigh.

--
Joshua Boyd