[geeks] apache logs on remote machines?

James geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 23:00:33 CDT 2001

Thus spake Scott Lipcon (slipcon at mercea.net):

> Might be overkill, but check out http://www.backhand.org/mod_log_spread/

Works quite well.  But for only two machines, I agree it's overkill.

I'd just scp the logs from the one host to the other right before stats are
crunched out.

Something along these lines works well... Every day at midnight rotate the
logs and compress the logs that are a few days old to save space.  Then scp
the previous day's logs over.  Sometime during the night process stats.

An interesting deal is logging in an sql database.  I'd prefer postgresql, but
here's a module for MySQL logging: http://www.fractal.net/mod_mylog.tm

I haven't tried this yet, so I can't say how well it works.  I imagine it
would be great for realtime reports and summaries and that sort of thing.

--
 James <oneiros at darkspire.net>      1024D/62C2F77D
 url: http://oneiros.darkspire.net/ EBB8 AF14 8C43 2F12 7623