[geeks] Alpha check

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 13:41:38 CDT 2001

I had one of these - the *real* catch is the size - this is a *full* AT board, not a smaller AT (mini, baby, whatever). Also, a beefy PS is in order (275 or 300 watts would be my choice, but only because you might add a bunch of HDs).

I installed my board in a full-height tower case, but didn't keep it long. Peformance will not be profundly better than a P/75, IMHO, for general use.

I've got three Alphas in my basement, with the backup/clock/nvram battery slowly draining... I have 2x multias (one SCSI cage internal, the other PCI frame internal), both 166 MHz machines,and a DEC ALpha 200/166 (IIRC) tricked out with 256M RAM, a 4 Gig HD & CD-ROM, and a matrox video card (as well as some massive video card that was supposed to be wonderful, but I never installed it). Never really used any of them for anything meaningful, probably couldn't get much for them if I went to sell them... I guess the Multias are good for *small* web servers - anyone have any exp. running Apache/MySQL/PHP on a 166 MHz Multia or 200/166? I could use a small intranet server and those are my development tools of choice...

Ken