[geeks] Super Sun3

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 08:56:56 CDT 2001

> I was surfing ebay, and I saw this Dual MC68040 VME Single Board Computers
> (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1236413911).

ok, that's just cool as hell.

> The following occured to me.  Many Sun3 owners run NetBSD, OpenBSD, or
> linux instead of SunOS.  So, one could take 4 or these boards, cram them
> into a Sun3/160 chassis, and run linux SMP with Mosix patch on them.
> Thus, making a Super Sun3.

does linux run on a sun3? i'm one of those *BSD bigots, so i'm not even sure.
i do know that you shouldn't have too much trouble getting these to work with
NetBSD.  i will definitely grab a few and add them to my list of unsupported
by NetBSD hardware that i'm going to attempt to get working.  hell, i can even
plug them into my SGI 4d boxes which have VME and work on AMP (Asymetric MP)
or something like that. :)

> I just got a job, but I don't start till monday.  If I have money after
> buying new clothes for the job (stuff from last job worn out), I might by
> a few of these boards.
> Joshua Boyd

tell me how many you want.  i'll pick up a couple of them for myself and some
for you, and then you can send me the money after you have it.

-brian