[geeks] Alpha check

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed May 16 21:31:26 CDT 2001

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 09:38:45PM -0400, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> I'm being offer a "Alpha PCI_33 Single board Computer" with a 166 alpha
> chip. It has four SIMM sockets.  I have a P75 machine, with 2 FPM SIMMS
> and 2 EDO SIMMS (or is it 4 EDO or 4FPM.  I'd have to reboot it to be
> sure).  How likely is it that some or all of my old memory will work on
> the Alpha board?
> This would be running Linux, and will be my primary fileserver replacing
> affor mentioned P75.  That P75 isn't too slow (not real great), but it is
> maxed out for expansion, and this board would let me go a bit farther.
> Plus, I could use it to make sure my code is 64bit safe.

Sounds like an AXPpci33.  *SLOW* 166Mhz 21064 (or 233Mhz maybe); this is
Pentium 75-to-120 speed.  Uses ECC 36bit true parity SIMMs.

Not a bad box, but not the best in the world.  The AXPpci33 boards are
good if you stick them in a nice case with good ventilation (they're
ATX or AT factor), but the Multias (same chipset) have heath death
problems.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford