[geeks] Some folks think I go too wide ;^) well, what do they know, I simply type into my mail client and leave the formatting to the client - if the client can't handle my format, well, that is the result o f your personal choice I guess. Ken (whew!)

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue May 15 20:01:25 CDT 2001

I know about the big button on the right, but I choose to let the receiver determine where the lines should break - if I insert *arbitrary* line breaks where *I think* they should break,it will either a) underutilize that big, wide, 21" monitor you're sitting in front of, or, b)if you happen to be enjoying my ramblings on a PDA, Palm or other landscape-challenged device, you will see the oddest collection of truncated lines across your screen.

What is the lowest common denominator column width for an email client - 20 years ago, that was easy, your terminal was either 40 (apple II), 64 (TRS-80) or 80 columns wide (CP/M, Workstation TTY). Now that I can get email on my cell phone *and* my 21" monitor, there seems to be no good default.

Sorry.

Personal choice.

(Reminds me of the guy that was threatening to boot folks off "his" maillist because we posted replies *above* the original post, not after, where god had intended)

Ken