[geeks] Linc is cool

Joshua D. Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue May 15 15:49:12 CDT 2001

On Tue, 15 May 2001, David Michaud wrote:

> Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > well, it looks like Linux is lagging behing NetBSD in the SGI/MIPS arena, but
> > it doesn't matter since nobody is working on the 4d boxen.  looks like it's
> > time for me to start.
>
> I'm baffled as to why one would want to cripple a functional machine by
> putting linux on it. Put linux on a Silicon Graphics machine, and it
> might as well just be a peecee.

You might consider asking SGI, who has Linux running on an Origin2000 if
they feel they are now in posession of a plain old PC.

Seriously though, some of us are doing it to be cool, and or as an excuse
to have an O2 at our disposal for a period of time.  And then there are
the people who just prefer linux.  And then there are the people who think
that having linux on superior hardware will help linux catch up in areas
like graphics performance and memory useage.

And if you still need to ask why, then you might also want to ask why
people put linux on Ultra machines.

--
Joshua Boyd