[geeks] Re: [SunRescue] Was yet another new list :: Colo

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat May 12 16:49:18 CDT 2001

sun at radiate.org writes:

>I run several dinky websites, along with the website for the band Gravity
>Kills (if any of you listen to them). I used to colo with my employer, but
>with the job hopping (and one employer going under) I decided to bite the
>bullet and get colo on my own. Most 'major brand' colos run 1200-1500 a
>month for a 1/4 rack, plus bandwidth. I ended up contacting a local
>cyber-cafe, and coloing for them for 300$, I get good service, and help
>offset their costs as well..

How much bandwidth are you using that you need to colocate?

I just upped the bandwidth limit on one of my sites from 100 meg/day to
200, then to 400 meg/day. That was $10/month, $20/month and $30/month
for the entire site.  It's hosted on a fast machine on a screaming LAN,
with 5 T3s and an OC-3 all to different backbones.

Having a dedicated box would be *neat*, but unless you're running
a really high-end site, I can't imagine it being a sane choice for
simple web-serving.

-- david fischer -- dave at cca.org -- www.cca.org -- Cthulhu told me to. --