[geeks] Re: [SunRescue] yet another new list

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat May 12 14:27:41 CDT 2001

Configure a DMZ Host.

You can have a single IP *completely* exposed to the internet. This limitation of only one machine *wide-open* is because you only have *one* IP address on the WAN/ISP side of your router...

Or, you can simply port-filter and direct specific ports (individual or one or more ranges) to a given IP address inside your LAN.

Only *some* DSL Modems can be reprogrammed/flashed to offer NAT, and the software upgrade typically runs $40-60, "for a few dollars more" you could have a dedicated piece of hardware that would work with anything you migrate to (Cable/DSL/LAN direct connection).

HTH,

Ken