[geeks] Computer beauty

Joshua D. Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed May 9 18:30:29 CDT 2001

4 Machines come to mind.  First, the Thinking machines CM-2.  Second, the
Next Cube.  Third, there was a company that mostly made massively
parrallel intel machines, but they also made a workstation that came as a
cube standing on it's point.  Forth, while I like the look of the 20th
aniversary Mac alot, one of the prototypes (it was a riff on the Mac
Classic design style) was damn good looking.  Perhaps not beautiful
though.

I don't know if I would call in beautiful, but I've always found the
appearance on a Sparc 10 with 21inch sun moniter and type 5 keyboard and
mouse to be a rather inspiring sight.  More so than any of the other Sun
machines (hence my obsession with someday maxing out a SS10 for personal
use).

For the most part I don't care for the iFruit machines, but I don't mind
the indigo flavor so much.  I especially hate the look of the G3 and G4
towers, and I'm not crazy about the G4 cube either.

SGIs look decent, but I've never really thought any of the beautiful or
works of art.

Aside from that one cube I describe above, I've never seen a PC that I
really really liked.  For me to buy a designer machine though, it would
need to take a standard motherboard.  That kinda means that it will need
to be a tower, or really large.

BTW, Boxxtech has some cool machines.  They make video editing gear.
Their machine cases use a fair amount of aluminum as a design element.
Some of the raid array's are particularly cool.

--
Joshua Boyd