[geeks] Hello, my name is Ken, and I am a...

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed May 9 14:53:29 CDT 2001

> Old, incredibly slow bus interface found on VAXen.  I've got a full qbus
> cage in my VAX 4000-400 at the office.  I think 2 DSSI cards, and the
> rest RS-232 serial.  Anybody know how close SCSI and DSSI are?  This
> machine is a bit low on disk space, and I'd rather not have to figure
> out NFS for VMS.  :-)

NFS for VMS sounds icky.  i don't know a lot about VMS, but i know enough that
it's hard for me to make it do what i want. :)

as far as DSSI vs. SCSI.  the use similar looking connectors, but are not even
close to being the same.  there are QBus SCSI cards, but you said a full cage.
well, you could make backups, pull a DSSI card and replace it with a SCSI card
and some big honkin SCSI disks on it.  something to think about anyway.  and if
you do go that route, i'd like those DSSI cards. :)

cheers,

-brian