[geeks] car audio

Jonathan Katz geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed May 9 12:05:07 CDT 2001

Bill wrote:
> Been there, done that - if I can get the kia-wiring-harness adapter
> from Best Buy, I may go that route.  MAYBE.

You should be able to. If you're planning on using the Kia speakers
which are installed w/ no radio it should have all the wires tied
and marked off. All you need is the radio's wiring harness to tie
them into.

> Crutchfield is mail order, installation would be a bitch. 8-)

It shouldn't be so bad. Taking out the center dash on the 2000 is
real work. Three torx screws, a 7/16ths ratchet with an extender,
and a flathead screwdriver are all that's needed. Putting it back
together was the pain. To take it apart/put it together I had to
take out the entire center console (arm rest, section which holds
the traction control button, area around the shifter, and then
the center plate of the dash.)

If I could do that alone (which I have on a few occasions) and
you have prior car stereo experience, you should have NO problems
with this.

-Jon