[geeks] Hello, my name is Ken, and I am a...

Simeon Johnston geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed May 9 11:40:38 CDT 2001

Tugrul Galatali wrote:

> On Tue, 8 May 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:
>
> > This morning, on my way in to work, the town my office is in is having a "big pick-up" (this is when the trash man will take away anything *reasonable* left on the curb, i.e. no water heaters). On my short jaunt through town I counted no less than 5 IBM XT/AT clones stacked next to various trash piles, and I was tempted to stop and take a look. There was also a Mac IIx (yes, I got close enough to see the model number)...
> >
> > I have a problem.
> >

>         I somehow managed to spot a RS/6000 in a heap of trash as the elevator
> doors closed on the 3rd floor of the Math/CS building at NYU. I went back in
> the evening hours and brought it back to the ACM office. Its labelled as a
> PowerServer 340, and it seems complete on the inside. I'm somewhat freaked I've
> gotten to this point and I'm only 19 with minimal experience with random
> hardware :) But those RS/6000s do have a distinctive color/texture =P

I'm just turning 20 this month.
I am starting my own collection of old hardware.  The only limit on x86 I have is that I will never take a 386 or earlier.  Maybe fun to actually get running but not worth the effort IMHO.  I actually just trashed an old Gateway 286/386 POS ( it had a 286 bios and a 386 CPU.  Could take either apperantly ).
I personally am looking for a Mac 68k to kick around.  These things make great terminals.  I would love to get a II or III CI ( CI?  Maybe thats it.  CX? VX?  The really thin one : ) for a terminal and basically a learning machine.
I'll take just about any Mac I can find ( depending on the case design ).
Just about any 486 ( depending on the case design ).
Really my only requirement is the design of the case. ;-)

sim