[geeks] car audio

Joshua D. Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed May 9 11:31:00 CDT 2001

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 02:02:18AM -0400, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> > Go to Best Buy. Look at their opened-items table. That's where
> > I got the head unit for my 2000. It's a Sony, 40x4 w/ a 3rd
> > set of RCA outs for the subwoofer. I think it was $189 and has
> > detachable face w/ CD up front and controller for a Sony CD
> > changer. Those 4x40 are actually RMS -- this is one unit below
> > the Mobile-ES stuff and isn't their new XPLOD POS.
> > Are you eventually planning on running it through an amp? Look
> > for the RCA outs.
>
> I'm looking at spending $200 max (total, including install); just
> gonna run the head unit with no amp.  Already got speakers in
> the truck, but no stereo.

Installation is easy.  Just do it yourself.  How can you call yourself a
geek if you don't.  You even get to use a soldering iron.

> > You can easily build a nice system for around $600-700
> > including speakers.
>
> *bahahahaha*
>
> Obviously your budget is higher than mine. 8-)
>
> Bill (hrm, crutchfield.com is nice..)

I don't think crutchfield.com does installation, and their prices always
seem rather high to me.  Personally, I shop at the local sony outlet (or
buy used from friends).

--
Joshua D. Boyd