[geeks] Cutting up the dash...

Jonathan Katz geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue May 8 18:50:09 CDT 2001

This is geeky enough for discussion on geeks... car-stereo-geeky.

The '58 needs a sound-system. The AM-only Wonderbar radio
isn't working, and the 43 year old 6x9 speaker surprisingly
still works, but it is better suited for a center channel
on my surround-sound setup. (Every time it acts like it is
blown I push in a tad on the cone and blow the dust out
and it's fine again. Does anyone have any idea on how to
clean this puppy out?)

The dash in the '58 is setup for an old-style GM Wonderbar
radio-- not even the cheapey Kenwood tape-decks with posts
will fit correctly.

There are hack-ups of head units for it:
   http://www.customautosound.com/CDoptions.htm
but the quality of the head units (sound quality) is
below what I'm looking for. (I want at least 40x4)

At a car show recently I saw a '58 and a '60 which had
carved up the dash so a normal DIN unit would fit-- it
just means cutting the fiberglass through to where the
holes for the posts are.

After all, it is fiberglass-- I can always patch it up
later and repaint it if I decide to go back to the
Wonderbar (Concours restoration route, etc.)

The head unit I'm thinking of is the new JVC which is
coming out-- it looks chrome-ish and does MP3 CDs:
   http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026395&page=3
(Local place says they'll have it for around $300.)

Now comes the more interesting stuff-- where to put the
speakers. It's "customary" to use the huge 6x9 hole in
the dash for two 4" speakers. I have a deal lined up on
some MB Quarts :) I still need a place for rears. I'm
thinking of using the space where the folding top
stores, except the 6"'s which I'm thinking of will then
be smothered underneath a layer of fiberglass. I could
also wedge them behind the far sides of the seats
(between the door and the seat there is a few inches of
fiberglass which I can easily get in behind.) Again, I
still wind up with a speaker behind fiberglass. Then
again, I could cut the fiberglass here, too, but I don't
want to do that.

The sub would have to go in the trunk in some kind of
speaker box. A 12" should be OK?

Any ideas here? Anyone here carved up an old car for
good sound?

-Jon