[geeks] Re: [SunRescue] TCF?!

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu May 3 10:31:22 CDT 2001

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 11:28:38AM -0400, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> So, what does one do with an AS400?  If I bought what, what could I get it
> to do other than sit there and look pretty?  Is it a cost effective way to
> get a database server?  Can the things be cheaply colo'ed?  I'm all for
> old hardware, but I never understood what the average person could do with
> an AS/400 (or why a company would want them unless the software they
> needed required one).

The problem with an AS/400 is that if you have an older one that only
runs V3 of OS/400, unless you get the OS tapes with the machine, you
have a very pretty DOORSTOP.

Literally - there is NO WAY to get OS tapes for these machines.  IBM
will not sell them to you for any price, and the licenses are non-
transferrable.

That's why I got rid of my little cute AS400.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net