[geeks] This bogles my mind

Joshua D. Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 28 15:03:45 CDT 2001

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Amy wrote:

> i smoke (right now anyways--i'm quitting in august), therefor i can take
> the bait and speak with relative authority on this drivel (sorry greg,
> you've made some bad assumptions here).

Why August?  Because it's too hot to put hot stuff in your lungs (at
least that is how I feel about hot food then)? Why not now? Or September?

> > I'm in the middle of some process that's taking me a while, and I start to
> > get jittery because withdrawal is kicking in, I'm going to work slower until
> > I get the drugs back into my system.
>
> personally, i end up working faster.

I think the idea he was trying to express was that while you may work
faster after a cig than you would have just before, that you would work
faster still if the habit was totally kicked.

However, there is also much to be said for taking a break to stand and
think.  Working less is increasingly consider to boost overall
productivity, so someone who works 6hours a day (an 8 hour day-8x15mins)
is considered to likely get more done than someone who does 8 hours a day.
This was in part the idea that led the French government to impose a 35hr
work week.

> as for the extra costs (insurance) incurred, perhaps companies should also
> quit hiring females (prone to breast cancer and pregnancy), men (prostate
> cancer, etc), anyone over the age of 25, and anyone with a
> pre-existng medical condition as well? SURELY the costs of insurance would
> go down. oh no, that would be unfair, but only because you'd be affected.

Don't forget people under 25 'cause they are more accident prone.
Actually, people with pre-existing medical conditions have a hard time
getting insurance with their job.  A major problem with my family (where
there are numerous very expensive pre-existing conditions).

> 4. if you know a smoker who you are concerned about, skip the rhetoric and
> calmly and nicely ask them why they began smoking. then ask them if they
> truly like the taste (answer's almost always no). then ask them what
> prevents them from quitting and ask them what you can do to help.

Speaking of which, has anyone yet made a cigerette that doesn't taste like
burning paper?

--
Joshua Boyd