[geeks] This bogles my mind

Chad A. Chance geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 27 18:09:13 CDT 2001

Ewww! OS/2...
My first "Corporate" job was dealing with OS/2 and Lan Manager, Blech!
This position was for AS/400 administration and RPG programming, which is
actually better than about anything else available here in Oklahoma right
now.
The other position I have lined up is all Microsoft<shudder>, but the bright
side to this is that I can change that down the road. The president of the
company is on a cost cutting move and nothing sounds better than "no
licensing fees" in that type of a situation. Plus he is quite open minded so
I think I could persuade him towards Solaris or one of the BSDs for file,
print and internet services which would make me happy...

I know it's not me, it's them, but it still ticks me off. How many other
opportunities did I miss out on because I though I had a good job lined up?
I'm really lucky I had something to fall back on, otherwise I would probably
be looking at a nice, long, unpaid vacation right because there is NO job
market in the OKC Metro area right now.

Chad

-----Original Messages-----

I had that happen to me once as well, everything went smooth and the final
meet with the big cheese went well and then nothing.  No call back no
squat.  The job was with Walgreens running a bunch of OS/2 servers for
their mail-order drug branch.  Thank God for small miracles :), that would
have been ruinous for my career.

Gil

They felt threatened / had a friend suddenly become unemployed and
decided to give them the hookup.  Its not you, its pissy hiring people.

Bill